This Cheesy Potato Soup is absolutely delicious and restaurant-worthy.
When it’s cold outside and the wind is howling this is the soup to make – you’ll have to excuse the on-the-go images in this recipe post – I knew I had to get this post up before I forgot how I made it! I’ll have to circle back around to make some better pictures. 🙂
But, I can promise you that this recipe is absolutely correct and 100% amazing – absolutely delicious.
Creamy & Cheesy Potato Soup
As of the time writing this post it was a rainy Saturday in December and we’ve just returned from high school basketball games for our son … hungry, cold and desiring a hearty soup I knew that potato soup was the answer. Lucky me, I also had all of the ingredients at the house … day made!
The next time you need an easy potato soup recipe that comes together in less than an hour, try this one! It’s delicious!
If you’d rather use hashbrowns instead of dicing potatoes, check out this crockpot potato soup with hash browns. It’s another one of my favorite dinners!
How long is potato soup good for?
I always keep things for 3-4 days.
If this potato soup lasts that long in the fridge I would be amazed.
What are the best potatoes for soup?
I love the creaminess of using red potatoes for soup. That’s just what I prefer, but you could use any potatoes you have on hand.
How to make potato soup thicker?
If you want to make potato soup thicker, combine 1 teaspoon of cornstarch to some heavy whipping cream, once that’s combined slowly pour into the hot soup.
Cheesy Potato Soup
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 T butter
- 3 pounds peeled and diced potatoes
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon leaf thyme
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Garnish: bacon & green onions
- Saute onion and garlic in butter in a large soup pot until onions are soft
- Add chicken broth, thyme, salt and potatoes to onion and garlic
- Simmer over medium to medium/high heat for 30-40 minutes stirring frequently, until potatoes are soft
- Remove soup from heat
- Mash some potatoes with a potato masher, leaving some diced: to the consistency that you desire
- Add sour cream and heavy whipping cream to the soup, stirring to combine
- Add shredded cheese 1/4 cup at a time stirring constantly
- Serve with bacon, green onions and/or shredded cheese on top
Add shredded cheese slowly, or it will clump
For reheating: add chicken broth, water or milk to thin out