Inside: Good Seasons dressing mix is the “glue” that holds this delicious dip together, but rest assured there are loads of other flavors that you’ll love in this easy appetizer, too!
Colby Jack and Good Seasons Zesty Chip Dip
Every year we make the drive down to Kansas to my sister-in-law’s house. It’s usually a trip down in the fall and then another over Christmas. Christmas Eve, we then head back to Ankeny so that Santa can come to our house and the kids wake up to some new, fun surprises.
And, fall is just as fun because the weather is perfect for leggings and hoodies, my most flattering uniform. 😉
We absolutely love the quality time to get to spend with my husband’s side of the family. It is a great time to catch up and to see our nieces and nephews and really see what they are into and, things that have changed in their lives. This is also a time where we can eat some of the best food that my sister-in-law has to offer! She is the best entertainer and hostess (ever!)
This is her recipe that I am writing on the blog today to make sure that we never lose it. It’s one of her go-tos and also, has become one of mine, too.
This last weekend I took it camping and, like clockwork, I got asked for the recipe – this always happens with this dip, and I realized I had never photographed it and written up the recipe! Since this blog has become my “recipe index” I knew that it had to have a spot in my appetizers category.
The ingredients of this recipe include Colby Jack cheese, Jalapeños cilantro, (which is one of my personal) favorite ingredients – as well as green onions and Roma tomatoes. There is also a package of good seasons Italian dressing, which is prepared ahead of time before you pour it on the other ingredients. I know, I know… it sounds super odd, but I can promise you that it comes out absolutely fantastic!
This dip is best made ahead of time, in fact I usually try to make at least 24 hours in advance before serving. The flavors come together in a fantastic way!
Here’s how I whip up this delicious, hard-to-pass-up, perfect cold appetizer recipe:
Good Seasons and Colby Jack Cheese Tortilla Chip Dip
- Prepare Good Seasons salad dressing by following the directions on the packet.
- Chop the Roma tomatoes, carefully leaving seeds out. The easiest way to do this is to set the tomato tall on its bottom and cut off the four sides, scooping any seeds out that might still be intact with the side of the tomato. Then, dice the four sides into small pieces.
- Dice the green onions into small pieces.
- Tear off the cilantro leaves and tear or cut into smaller pieces.
- Add diced jalapeños to the above mixture, to taste.
- ** I will also cut up jalapeño rings into small pieces instead of buying a can, that way I can add as many or as few, depending on who will be eating the dip.
- Add cheese to the mixture.
- Pour stirred Good Seasons dressing over cheese mixture and stir well, careful not to smoosh the cheese too much.
- Let sit for at least four hours before enjoying it.