Ever since my mom’s cancer diagnosis, I’ve been trying really hard to eat healthier. The main focus though has been cutting sugar and carbohydrates from my diet.
Of course, this means that I’m following a loose Keto diet by striving to eat more protein and greens and less bread, pasta and sweets.
While I’d love to lose a few pounds here and there, my health is my main concern. Getting my body to a point where I’m not craving sweets as much as I am using food to fuel my body as energy.
This is easier said than done when bagels are a food group and sandwiches on the go are a meal of choice for this mom on the go.
Which is why I was thrilled when I adapted this Keto everything bagel to my liking and finally nailed it to my liking. This low carb bagel goes great with turkey, ham, cream cheese and even tastes good naked or toasted a little and with butter.
If you’ve found yourself here on the hunt for the best Keto bagel recipe, look no further, this is it!
Low Carb Keto Everything Bagel Recipe
So, dieting is not my thing. I loathe dieting. In fact, I’m a bit of a rebel, so when I hear the word diet, I immediately want to eat everything that I really shouldn’t. Which is what makes that Keto diet (or a low carb diet) the perfect fit for me as I’ve found that I can have all of the things that I should be having, in abundance.
I have to admit though, when I first did the research on a Keto lifestyle I was nervous. How could I cut out bread? And bagels? And, I don’t really love protein that much, and how was my family going to survive if I was cutting out carbs? We live on pasta dishes.
It turns out that low carb recipes are actually pretty yummy and the Keto way of eating isn’t hard to modify. But, if you’re craving bread, I have some semi-bad news for you. You’re likely going to have to make your own low carb bread. The pre made stuff that is at the grocery store, it’s just too full of carbs, unfortunately. But, no worries, these low carb bagels are the bomb and they take a total of 20 minutes to make. About 7-8 minutes of prep time and not too long in the oven.
And, since this recipe makes six bagels, it makes quite a few so that you can have them for the week. They make perfect snacks, rolls to make sandwiches on, and they’d even make a fine Keto breakfast with bacon or sausage, an egg and a slice of cheese.
OK, Here’s how I whip up this easy keto everything bagel recipe:
Gather your Low Carb Bagels Ingredients:
- 2 cups almond flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
3 large eggs, divided
3 cups pre shredded mozzarella cheese
4 tablespoons cream cheese (1/2 a block)
3 tablespoons Everything Bagel Seasoning
The directions for making these Keto bagels is below, but I’ve included some in process shots so you know what they’ll look like. As, you may know, fathead dough can be very sticky and hard to work with, afterall, it’s really cheesy but once you get the hang of it, you’ll be used to it.
To be honest, I use a butter knife to cut my Keto bagel dough into sections and then mold it like that using the cutting part of the butter knife. Mostly because I’m a fair weather baker and don’t like to get my hands sticky. 🙂
There you have it! There’s my low carb bagel recipe!
If you make these let me know by adding a picture to my pin of these! That will help others find this delicious keto low carb everything bagels recipe too!
Please note, you can use a donut pan to make these as well.
Easy Keto Everything Bagel Recipe
- Preheat oven to 425°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. If you'd rather, a Silpat also works well.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the almond flour, baking powder, garlic powder, and dried Italian seasoning.
- Mix really well until this is all combined.
- In a large microwave safe mixing bowl, combine the mozzarella cheese and cream cheese. Microwave for 1 minute.
- Remove from the microwave and stir to combine. Return to microwave for an additional minute.
- Mix this really well.
- Add two of the eggs to the cheese mixture and mix well, then mixing in the flour mixture.
- If the dough gets too stringy and it's hard to work with, simply put it back in the microwave for 30 seconds to soften and continue mixing.
- Divide the dough into six equal portions, making each piece into a ball shape.
- Gently press your finger into the center of each dough ball to form a hole in the middle of the ball.
- Use a fork to make an egg wash and brush the top of each bagel with the egg wash.
- Top each bagel with Everything Bagel Seasoning.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown.